For this week’s recipe, I want to share a Paleofied loaded fry recipe that is full of southwest flavor. Unlike your regular fries, these fries are baked and are topped with onions, cilantro, guacamole, and dairy-free cilantro-lime crema. You may also add jalapenos or serrano peppers for a kick of heat. This recipe is so scrumptious and will leave your family, friends, and guests feeling satisfied. Vamos, let’s go get started!
Tex-Mex Loaded Fries
Paleo | Dairy-Free | FODMAP-Free* | Nightshade-Free*
* To make this recipe FODMAP-free, omit the garlic and onion powder, as well as the diced onion topping. If you have a high sensitivity to FODMAPs, also omit the guacamole topping.
* To make this recipe Nightshade-free, only use sweet potatoes for the fries and do not use pepper or paprika in the fry seasoning.
What You’ll Need:
|Fries:||Tex-Mex Spice Blend:||Guacamole:||Cilantro-Lime Crema|
|– 2 sweet potatoes||– 1 tsp onion powder||– 3 small avocados||– 1/3 cup Paleo Mayo|
|– 4 golden potatoes||– 1 tsp garlic powder||– 1/4 cup chopped onions||– Juice from 1/2 a lime|
|– 3 Tbsp avocado oil||– 1 tsp ground cumin||– a handful of chopped cilantro||– 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro|
|– 1 tsp paprika||– juice from 1 lime||– Salt to your taste|
|– 1/2 tsp pepper||– 1 tsp garlic powder|
|– salt to your taste||– salt & pepper to your taste|
What to Do:
1. Set oven to 435 degrees F
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. If you don’t have a large baking sheet, use 2 baking sheets.
3. Wash and peel all potatoes
4. Slice golden potatoes into ovals and then cut those ovals into 1/2 or quarter inch strips (fry shaped)
5. If working with a large sweet potato, cut in half and repeat step #4
6. Place fries in a large bowl and add the avocado oil and the Tex-Mex spice blend
7. Combine well and place on the baking sheet(s)
8. Make sure there is as little overlap of fries as possible
9. Bake for 30 minutes
10. Flip fries over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
* Traditional guacamole includes diced tomatoes and jalapeno or serrano peppers. Feel free to make the authentic version for more spice and flavor!
1. Wash, cut, and spoon out avocado into a bowl
2. Mash avocado
3. Add lime juice, spices, and salt and combine well
4. Add in onions and cilantro and combine well
5. Serve immediately or place in the fridge.
1. In a bowl or food processor, add all ingredients and mix or blend together
2. Taste and adjust to your liking
3. Crema should be tangy and with balanced flavors
Plating the Tex-Mex Loaded Fries
1. Place fries on a large plate
2. Add a couple of heaping spoonfuls of guacamole in the center of all the fries.
3. With a spoon, drizzle the cilantro-lime crema all over the fries
4. Top the fries with chopped onion and cilantro (you can also add diced tomatoes, serrano peppers, or pickled jalapenos)
5. Buen Provecho, enjoy!